Thursday, February 2, 2012

Snow!!

It snowed in Bologna!


This was the scene from our back patio this morning.

This morning, I was dutifully hitting the snooze button and avoiding getting out of bed when Andrea walked in and said, "I have a problem...I don't know if I am going to be able to go to work because there is so much SNOW!". I literally flew out of bed and ran to the window to check it out. Then I threw on my coat, hat and a pair of shoes to go out on the patio to take pictures.

For this California girl, who has never really lived anywhere where it snows, it was a pretty exciting way to start the day!

scooters buried in the snow

The streets around our house were empty this morning as most people opted to stay home.

It continued to snow all morning and into the afternoon. After lunch, Andrea and I went for a walk in the city center. It is amazing how the snow made me look at the city in a whole new light and with a renewed appreciation and excitement.

trees heavy with snow
 

bikes in the snow
 

People flocked to Piazza Maggiore to marvel at and play in the snow.
There were snowmen being built, snow ball fights in progress and people making snow angels.
 

a snowman standing proud in front of San Petronio
 

Neptune covered in snow

Piazza Santo Stefano

It was a magical day! The snow has stopped now after dumping a record 45 cm (1.47 feet). I hope that we get at least a little more in the coming days. Bologna truly was transformed into a winter wonderland and it was fun to enjoy the city in a new way and to tromp through the snow without a care and to feel reconnected with simpler pleasures.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

2 comments:

M. L. Benedict said...

What marvelous pictures, Alex!

Unknown said...

Thanks Mikie!