Sunday, September 26, 2010

The biggest compliment

On Friday night, I strode up to the restaurant (where earlier that day I had phoned in and made reservations - in Italian!! on the phone!! - needless to say I was very proud of myself) where I was meeting friends for dinner and I told the waitress in my very, best Italian that I had reservations, for three people, and the name was Smookler (side note - from now on whenever I need to give anyone in Italy my last name I am using my boyfriend's last name, which is Italian, because nobody understands mine, which is not at all, anywhere close to Italian). After she showed me to the table she asked if I would like water and to look at the menu while I waited. I replied "si" to both. Here comes the best part, before she left to get me the menu she casually asked, "il menu in Italiano, si?". Yes! Yes! Yes! Is what I thought in my head. To the waitress, I answered a confident and smooth, "si".

This moment was such a break through in my whole languge learning experience. Since returning to Italy in August, I have been building up my languge abbilites and more importantly my confidence. When I am out and about in the city, I have been pushing myself to speak more; however, often people either do not understand me or they, in an effor to be kind, begin to speak to me in English. Either situation serves as a big blow to my self-confidence. Friday was different. Friday was the opposite! The waitress understood everything I said and deemed me to be good enough in Italian to, without question, have the Italian menu! I am still beeming!

This whole experience, and the confirmation of my improvements in the language, could not have come at a better time because tomorrow I am beginning Italian classes. I will be going to school two nights a week from 6pm to 9pm. I am really excited and to be honest a little nervous. I cannot wait to see how my Italian improves over these next two months. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for letting me brag a little. I hope you all take time to be proud of your accomplishments as well.

No comments: